Sunday, April 1, 2007

Observational: The Foley Gallery


‘Nast-y Business” By Stephan Aldrich is a very interesting piece of art. The background has an orange tint too it, close to what would be called a sephia tone. At first glance I really have no idea what is going on in the picture. There is a jumble of people and animals seemingly floating one on top of another. In the very center I notice a skeleton wearing a suit and top hat. His hollow eyes are staring up at a topless man with a large white beard. He has a sash thrown across his torso, and some kind of spear like object in his hands. I can’t tell if skeleton man is staring at spear guy or looking past him at a robed figure. I can’t even tell the sex of this character, because it is completely covered by a robe, and is standing so I can only see the right side of its body. Below the mysterious robed figure is a child, whom appears to be a girl. The dress is my only way to tell because this character is also turned away. Then again it does have very short hair, either a boy in a dress or a girl with very short hair. In front of the girl stands the first animal I’ve encountered so far. A cowering lion is in the fore front on the right hand side. His tail is stuck between his legs and his mane seems to be prickling up. There are way to many people in this picture to continue on this way.

2 comments:

nancybui said...

I like the title of this picture “Nast-y Business”, it’s very funny. This picture was very interesting. You got to look very closely at this picture to make out what in it. I liked how you have the knowledge of sepia tone and used it as a hyperlink. It can give people who don’t know about it an understanding. I also liked how you said floating to describe the people on top of eachother. Wonderful descriptions!

Fu said...

Wow this picture has a lot of things going on simultaneously. The fact that it is in a sepia tone makes it even a bit harder to observe because my eyes going all over the places just trying to put things into perspective. I thought the picture is very bizarre, there is little to no correlation between one object and another. You were able to break down some of the elements of this picture and describe some of it's features. If you have to describe everything within this picture it would be at least 1000 words, good work.