Sunday, March 4, 2007

Tattoos, today and yesterday

While sitting in the waiting room, I was thinking about the stigma these amazing artists deal with. People displaying their work are labeled as rebellious, or not part of proper society. These stigmas are slowly fading, but they still seem to stick with many Americans. The room I am waiting in is that of Think Tank Tattoo shop. I received my latest tattoo at this shop in southern Denver. The shop was decorated in a haphazardly sort of way; decorations ranging from mannequins with cigars to spray painted snowboards. The shop employs seven artists, and one apprentice. When I arrived two other people were receiving tattoos, who both finished by the time I was done, and one other person who started about an hour before I was done.


(WARNING: video contains some questionable content. Also if it doesn't work keep clicking watch again until it does.)

The image a tattoo portrays about the person who has it, has changed throughout the years. Talking to my parents about this subject I realized how they were viewed by past generations. In my grandparents generation only bikers or sailors had tattoos, and anyone else was seen as an exception to the rule. Being very religious, my own grandparent’s view of a tattoo is that it is defiling your body, which is a sacred thing. Needless to say my parents and I have agreed not to inform them of the work I’ve had done.

Tattooing is becoming more and more common place. With reality TV shows like ‘Miami Ink’ the popularity of tattoos has surged. Even with this newfound popularity there is still a stigma most often found in the workplace. Visible tattoos can create a negative first impression in interviews that can keep many from being hired, or an image that can keep some from advancing in their job. For mainly this reason I’ve elected to have my tattoos in easily covered places. I don’t find this to be that big of a problem, because I believe you should get a tattoo for yourself, and that it should mean something to you personally. If you are deadest on getting a tattoo in a very visible place, I would suggest reevaluating your reasons for getting it done.

No comments: