Sunday, May 6, 2007

My writing, a reflection

I think that the thing that has change most about my writing would be in regard to the context of online writing. I have never really written on a blog or myspace or anything of that sort, and wasn’t too comfortable with the format when we first started. In my first posts I was still getting used to the idea of connecting to other sites through my writing using the hyperlinks and adding pictures and videos to help the writing. I now find it easy and helpful to link other pages in the flow of my writing. I discovered that this can be very helpful, especially when researching for the rhetorical analysis. It was much easier for the user to just click on a hyperlink to find out more about a certain subject than to have to search for it themselves. I find it a lot easier now to figure out what viewers of my own writing would like links to, what kind of pictures would help, or other multimedia elements. For example, this is how I hyperlinked things in my first blogs.

“On the other hand, if the viewer chooses extreme he knows he will be looking at videos that contain content that wouldn’t be seen on the everyday basis. This could range from incredible stunts to bizarre acts of nature. The jokes, pictures, and games are similarly broken down into categories describing the general context. Click here to see some of these categories.”(post)

In these blogs I had no pictures or other multimedia elements whatsoever. As oppose to my newer posts, which look more like this.

“Most game developers argue that anything created or found in the game is the property of the game developers, while people selling the items argue that they are performing a service, and not actually selling the imaginary item. People even sell accounts of characters that are high levels and full of gear.” (post)

In my recent posts I integrated the links into the writing itself, and I think that the links were more relevant to the writing. I also included pictures and videos in these posts that added to the writing.

Another improvement in my writing would have to be the focus I had on the purpose for writing. In our first essay assignment I had a harder time sticking to the parameters of the writing than I did in our second or third essay. I found it a lot easier to figure out exactly what we were supposed to be writing about and how to write it. I also found I had an easier time making myself understood in my writing later on. My flow seemed to have improved over the course of this semester. I think my writing is easier to understand, and sounds better because of this. For example, in my first essay I described something like this.

“The late afternoon air made for a not quite comfortable, but not quite chilly Colorado day. The area is a pleasant one to sit and watch. The smell of the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory and the Boulder CafĂ© mingle in the air to create a pleasing aroma.”(post)

I think the first part of this quote is kind of hard to understand. It makes sense but you have to reread it a few times to understand what its trying to say. In my newer essays my writing seemed a lot clearer.

“Because of this not much time was spent in our rooms. They were sparse, yet comfortable. Electronics, except for music, were prohibited so there was no TV in any of the rooms. The building was an old filming studio, so all the bedrooms were different, since bigger stars got bigger rooms. I was lucky enough to get one of the larger rooms. It had a long hallway leading up to the main room, its own bathroom and shower, and a fireplace which regrettably was not in working order.”(post)

I think I convey the ideas I have a lot more clearly in this example. You don’t have to stop to try to understand the meaning of the writing. It flows together a lot smoother. I don’t think the voice of my writing changed so much over the course of the semester, mainly just the readability, and understandability of it. This is always good because the main purpose of writing something is to convey your ideas. Having a good flow which the reader can understand is very helpful in this aspect.

2 comments:

cguy said...

Another site that sell and even buy your game accounts character. This site also buy your in game currencies. They do have an industry for this?

Unknown said...

Maplestory Mesos
buy Maplestory Mesos
cheap Maplestory Mesos