Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Ebaumsworld.....misunderstood

Most often the web is used as a communication tool, and as a resource for finding information on just about anything you want. I tend to like the more entertaining side of the internet, where users can share jokes, pictures, and videos. A website I find quite amusing and visit often is Ebaumsworld. We have come to recognize many similarities in websites that help us to navigate easily. Links are usually underlined and in a different color text, a menu bar can help you navigate the site, and the ever present ad is easily spotted with bright colors and moving pictures. Ebaumsworld tends to stick to these basic conventions, but also changes them to better suit their purpose. Click here to visit the site, so you can see what I’m talking about.

The links to other websites are not underlined and in blue text, but in a box to the side that labels them as other websites. This means anything that is blue and underlined on the page is a link to another page of Ebaumsworld. In addition to these links, which are most often links to movies or pictures, they have provided a small picture to give the user an idea of what the video or picture they will be viewing is going to look like. You can click on either the highlighted text or the picture to be taken to the same page. The site has a basic menu bar that can take you to any category you want, but also has menus off of these links if you would like to make your choice more specific.

The Focal point of Ebaumsworld is the daily media. Every day the site has an update of 4 or 5 videos, pictures or games that are brand new to the site. These are placed near the top of the page in the center, and also on a white background. The links are both in text and picture format. The placement and color of the daily media will grab the user’s attention and keep it. Also this is the main point and focus of this site, a vault of videos, jokes, games, and pictures that were found or sent in, with new things to see everyday.

This site has a wide variety of videos and jokes that cover almost any ground. Because of this Ebaumsworld tends to generate a lot of ill favor with some viewers. Some people may find some videos racist or discriminatory. I think that what viewers must take into account is, this website is not just making light of one specific race, gender, or disability. It is making fun of practically everyone. Many people seem to take some of these videos as a personal attack on them or their beliefs. This can be seen in the Hate Mail section of the site. Click here to view this section. Overall I think one must view this site with an open mind and not take it too seriously. It is all meant to be fun and not intended to hurt any specific person or ethnicity.

8 comments:

Analisa said...

I have friends and family members that love this sight and often show me things on it, so I know exactly what you are talking about. I believe that there are a lot of things that people can find offensive, and there is rarely a joke out there that wouldn’t offend anyone. That’s why jokes are funny, it’s because we think making fun of people is funny, and I’ll be the first to admit that I think it is funny along with everyone else. I think they also present criticism on the government and other points of society that need to be criticized. It’s like one giant “op-ed” section… sort of. But I am of the firm belief that it is important to criticize everything around you to make people think, and I think that is what Ebaumsworld does.
P.S. one of my favorites is the end of the world short. http://ebaumsworld.com/2006/06/endofworld.html

JAcosta said...

I have been browsing the internet for a long time, but have never come across Ebaumsworld.com. After reading your post I followed the link to Ebaumworld.com and navigated the website for quite some time. The website was awesome! It had some really funny things in it. The part of your post that I totally agree on is on how some critics of the website believe some jokes might be offensive or discriminating. I believe they should lighten up a bit. I believe every one should learn how to laugh at themselves and not take life so serious.

@km said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
@km said...

Hey thanks for your comment. I have definitely been the site you discussed. My friends and I back in the day would use the sound boards of the celebrities and call our friends just using those. Have you ever done that? It is hilarious. Anyway your blog covered all the points nicely, and it had to be long than five hundred words...thats good you really have interest in the site and assignment. Do you think now with youtube its popularity is going down...you woud consider them competitors? Ebaumsworld definitely has more variety of entertaining things to do whether it's videos or pictures or yep soundboards! ah good times

annaters said...

I enjoyed your choice of site. I myself enjoy the entertainment aspect of the Internet and found myself on ebaumsworld for quite an extended amount of time, during which I was supposed to be doing homework ☹.

You did an excellent job sticking to the criteria and fulfilling it completely. Also I found it refreshing that you added your opinion of those who chose to criticize the site in the end of your piece. I completely agree with you, some people just need to relax and ‘take a chill pill’ so to speak.

Overall, interesting writing, keep up the good work!

Liz Benton said...

I thought that your post was very well written and clearly thought out throughout the whole thing. I liked how you compared it to other websites and pointed out how it differed from them, as well as how it was similar to them. Additionally, I thought that it was very considerate and appropriate that you wrote a few sentences about how some people are offended by the website and that they should not be because it was just meant to be for fun and not to attack anyone. I thought that it was clever that you put a link in directly to the ‘Hate Mail’ section so readers could view other’s responses to the website. Overall, this was very well written and intriguing.

Nga Le said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nga Le said...

HEY, that was a pretty cool site,it was my first time visiting that site. I founding it very entertaining. The videos were so funny, it just made me laugh so hard! As I can see, you are right...this site does use similar conventions as all other sites such as links, colors, size, etc. I also gotta agree with how easy it is to navigate. You are a very good and smooth writer. I found it easy to understand and follow. In addition, I had fun reading your blog. Very Good Job! Well now that I know about this site, I will check it out more often!